Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cochlear Implants and Deaf babies using ASL

I want to say what is on my mind about this hot topic in the Deaf community. As a culturally Deaf person who grew up in a hearing world. I feel that Deaf babies should not be implanted. Why is that? When I was born and diagonsed as Deaf, my parents and family looked at many options offered but ultimately chose to use Sign Language and used it with me from a early age. That proved to be a success. I feel that CI should not be a option. Parents of Deaf Babies should learn about the benefits of Early Language acquisition with the use of ASL. I believe that Deaf Babies should have access to a language through ASL. Once Deaf babies establishes a connection with ASL, It will be easier to learn English. I personally think my high literacy profiency is due to ASL and English. When I was young, my mom signed bedtime stories with a book so I could make a connection with what she was signing with the written english. I personally think Deaf babies DO NOT need to be FIXED. I strongly believe in using ASL with Deaf babies. My sister, who is hearing and my cousins, who is also hearing used sign language at an early age and they all read in unususally high levels. I think ASL is very beneficial to establishing a strong literacy development in Deaf children. In addition, I strongly back NAD's ASL postion statement. To read the statement and view it in ASL signed by Bobbie Beth Scoggins. NAD Releases American Sign Language Position Statement

2 comments:

Jessica, The Joyful Housewife said...

Keep blogging! I really enjoy hearing about your perspective on such important issues.

Jessica, The Joyful Housewife said...

Oops, I forgot to leave my website address:
http://25touchesheart.wordpress.com
I hope to read more posts from you.